How to use BUCK
What do I need to sign up?
- A New Zealand or Australian driver licence OR passport
- Proof of address (when you connect your nominated bank account, we’ll use your address provided by your bank, if they have it, if not we’ll ask you to provide a utility bill or other proof.)
We need all this information to meet our anti-money laundering obligations. Making sure you’re who you say you are keeps you safe from someone pretending to be you, too.
What devices and operating systems does BUCK run on?
BUCK™ is available on iPhone and Android smartphones with camera functionality and that have iOS13 or Android OS5.0 or later installed.
What’s a Bucktag?
A Bucktag is the unique name your friends use to send, request, or split payments with you. When you sign up for BUCK, you’ll need to create one.
If you can’t remember your Bucktag, click on your profile photo. Your Bucktag will show under your name.
What sort of bank account can I connect to?
You can connect any transactional account from the following New Zealand banks:
- The Co-operative Bank
We’re working hard to connect to more banks too. and we’ll let you know when your bank is available.
What is Akahu?
Akahu are a New Zealand start up company. They make it simple for you to access the data that banks hold about you and allow you to share that data with trusted third parties.
Akahu enables you to connect your bank account with BUCK so you can send, request and split money with your friends. When you initiate a payment through BUCK, that instruction will be sent to your connected bank account via Akahu. This is why you’ll be asked for your online banking log in details. Your username and password will not be stored by either BUCK or Akahu.
Akahu currently supports other Kiwi applications such as Pocketsmith and My Rent.
How much money can I send/receive?
The most you can send someone in one go is $500 and you can send up to a total of $1000 per day. There’s no limit on how much money people can send you each day, though.
Why didn’t I get a verification text?
Go to ‘Your Profile’ (by clicking on your profile photo) then click on ‘Account’, click on ‘Mobile Number’, double check your number is correct and press the ‘Verify Mobile’ button at the bottom of the screen.
If you still haven’t received a text please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I use the QR code feature?
Scanning someone’s QR code is the fastest way to add them as a contact on BUCK. You could try typing their phone number or email address but this way is much faster.
To show your own QR code: From the Home Screen, tap the QR Code symbol in the top right hand corner, then My Code.
How to scan someone else’s QR code: From the Home Screen, tap the QR Code symbol in the top right hand corner, then Scan.
Tip: you can scan someone else’s QR code by opening your camera and scanning, this will take you straight to BUCK.
Can I join BUCK from outside New Zealand?
No, as BUCK is only available in the New Zealand app stores.
Can I use BUCK overseas?
We created BUCK for use in New Zealand. However, if you’ve set up BUCK you can use it while on holiday in Australia, the USA and Canada only.
How many devices can I have BUCK on?
You can have BUCK on as many devices as you want. However, you can only be signed into your account on one device at a time.
How much does it cost?
Nothing! BUCK is free to download and use.
Sending, requesting and splitting payments
What happens if I send money to the wrong person?
BUCK doesn’t touch your money – it’s just an easy way for you to tell your bank to send your money straight to someone else’s account. So, if you’ve paid the wrong person:
- Send them a message telling them what’s happened and ask them to send it right on back.
- If that doesn’t work, get in touch with your bank ASAP and see what they can do.
Next time, double-check who you’re sending money to by checking their Bucktag, their first and last name, their profile picture, their mobile number or email address.
How long are my payment requests valid for?
Until you get paid. You can cancel requests if you want though, say if someone pays you back in cash.
What happens if a friend hasn’t paid me?
The good news is that BUCK can help, by automatically sending a nudge if the payment isn’t made after three days, then one week and finally two weeks – meaning you don’t have to. To enable nudges, head to your profile, then select ‘Notifications and Nudges’ and then ‘Enable’.
What is a split payment?
Spilt payments are great for when you want to split an expense with more than two friends. Whether this be an even split or an uneven one if your friends were responsible for different values. BUCK does all the maths for you too!
How do I make a split payment?
Watch our or follow the steps below:
- Click ‘Split’ in the bottom right-hand corner
- Select who you’re splitting the cost with
- Add how much you’re splitting
- Choose who pays what (you can tweak the values for each person)
- You can even set yourself to $0 if you’ve already covered that cost
- Add what the split is for
- Sometimes it’s a good idea to include an image alongside a receipt
- Swipe to confirm the split and the payment requests will then be sent to each person you selected.
Can I change the split amount allocated to each person?
Yes. Whoever covered the bill can set themselves to $0 and allocate everyone else’s amounts to any combination that adds up to the total.
What’s a group?
A group allows you to make quick requests or payments with two or more friends, removing the need to start from scratch every time. If you have a group of friends that you regularly split costs with setting up a group is an easy way to manage it.
How do I join a group?
You can’t join an existing group. You will need to establish a new split payment with the friends you’d like to be in a group with and when this payment is initiated, the group will be formed.
How do I create a group?
You’ll have to make a split payment with the friends you’d like in the group. Follow the steps below:
- Select the ‘Split’ button in the bottom right-hand corner
- Then select who you want in this group from your contacts
- Select the dollar value for each member and what the split is for
- Swipe to split
- You’ve created a group!
- Feel free to give your group a name too.
How do I name the group?
To name the group, simply click on the photos in the top left-hand corner). Then click on ‘Group name’ and change it to whatever you want.
How do I add friends?
To add your friends and family to your BUCK either:
- Allow someone nearby to let you scan their QR code to easily add them as a friend
- Share your Bucktag with a friend to make it easy for them to add you
- Choose to share your contacts and BUCK will show you who of your contacts are already signed up
- If you can’t see them search using their Bucktag, mobile number, email address or name. You’ll need to enter all the characters to get a match.
- Click ‘Add’
Security and data
Is BUCK secure?
Protecting your money and personal information is our top priority.
Some of the ways we keep you safe include:
- Using a two-factor authentication process when connecting to your bank account
- Continually monitoring transactions to identify anything that looks dodgy
- Verifying every user’s identity and address when they sign up
You can help keep BUCK secure too, by not sending money to people you don’t know.
What if my account is hacked?
How is money sent via BUCK?
BUCK doesn’t touch your money. It just tells your bank to make a payment to your friend’s bank account, so technically BUCK’s the middleman.
How do I change the bank account BUCK uses?
- Click on your profile picture in the top right-hand corner
- Click on the arrow to the right of the bank you’ve currently connected
- Tap on the bank you want to change to
- Follow the login instructions for that bank
- All done! You now have a new account linked to your BUCK profile.
Can I have more than one bank account linked?
Currently, you can only have one bank account linked to BUCK.
How do I change my Bucktag?
Your Bucktag cannot be changed. This is the main way friends know who they’re paying, so for security reasons it must remain the same.
If you have an extenuating circumstance such as a name change email us at email@example.com or use BUCK’s chat function and we’ll see what we can do.
How do I change my email?
- Click on your profile picture in the top right-hand corner
- Click on ‘Account’
- Click on ‘Email’
- Enter your new email address
- Click ‘Update & Verify’. You’ll receive a new verification email so check your inbox and follow the steps.
How do I block a user?
Simply click on your profile photo, click ‘Contacts’, select the user, then click ‘Block’.
How do I delete my BUCK account?
- Click on your profile picture
- Click ‘Account’
- Click ‘Delete Account’
- Click ‘I want to delete my account’
- NB: when you do this all record of you within BUCK will disappear and you’ll no longer be in any groups or contact lists.
If we haven’t been able to answer your question, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or jump into your BUCK app under profile and ‘chat with us’.